While winter weather seems like it’s already been around for way too long, its impact on our heating bill is just beginning. Keeping energy costs low during the coldest months of the year can be tough, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to possibly decrease those costs. That’s why we’ve developed a few furnace tips to help keep soaring heating bills at bay.
To take aim at lowering your heating bills and enhancing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open over the warmest hours of the day to allow sunlight in, warming your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Purchasing a programmable thermostat so that you can more easily control the temperature in your home, which will also increase energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every few months.
- Checking your home's heating vents to ensure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if your furnace has been around for more than 15 years.
- Adding insulation to your attic to keep warm air from escaping.
- Checking your roof to make sure your shingles are intact, and that no holes or areas need sealing.
Working to keep your energy bills low and energy efficiency high, is a year-round battle, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do some of the smaller things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions about the tips above or questions about how you can decrease your heating bills, give us a jingle at 478-202-3076. Our experts are here to help make sure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Perry weather.